7 Places to Find Free Moving Boxes
For most people, sturdy boxes are a standard, everyday occurrence–and sometimes even an annoyance when you have too many piled up to be recycled. But when it’s time to move, good boxes just seem to disappear.
When this happens, you might be tempted to just buy boxes from your local packing store or hardware store. But at the same time, you want to save as much money as you can for things like new furniture and decorations for your new place… Instead of paying for new boxes, try one of these 7 ways to get free moving boxes:
1. U-Haul Customer Connect: U-Haul sells boxes, yes, but did you know that they have a platform for people to exchange boxes once they’re done moving? Check at your local U-Haul store to see if they have any boxes available or join U-Haul Customer Connect.
2. Grocery or liquor stores: All of the items that line the store's shelves have to get to the store somehow, and most of the time it’s through sturdy cardboard boxes perfect for moving.
3. Big box stores (Target, Walmart, Costco): These stores may have larger boxes as well as smaller ones available–just ask at the customer service counter.
4. Online Freecycle groups: Freecycle and Buy Nothing groups are the perfect place to find great boxes for free through an In Search Of (aka ISO) post. These are also great groups to post in if you’re trying to declutter before moving.
5. Craigslist: People (who aren’t moving) tend to have boxes laying around, and they’re more than happy to get rid of them.
6. Neighborhood Facebook groups: If you post in your neighborhood Facebook group, you’ll be able to find boxes close to home.
7. Offer Up app: If you don’t want to use Craigslist or Facebook, try posting an ISO on Offer Up.
When there are so many great options out there for free moving boxes, don’t waste your money on buying boxes at the store. Just use one of these 7 ways and get your boxes for free!